Drive your own vehicle through China
Drive through China with your own vehicle
For many travelers and globetrotters who have the chance and the means to travel the world in their own car, China is a big obstacle. Unlike other Asian countries, it's not possible to simply enter the country with a valid visa and then travel wherever the road takes you. Theoretically China prohibits foreigners to drive-through with their own car, however, practically it's indeed possible whether by car, motorbike, 4WD, jeep, motor-home or truck, but you will need special permits for each province your journey takes you. Apart from that, Chinese number plates and a temporary Chinese driving license are required. We can organize you all necessary permits but need a preparation time of around 3 months, so you will need to plan your trip quite some time ahead.
Since all this paper work is more or less the same, no matter for one or several vehicles, it is very costly for one vehicle, so in order to save money, it's recommended to find like-minded people to share the costs.
Since China is a big country, the minimum time for a drive-through is at around 21 days and Hiddenchina.net GmbH can assist you in your plans and organization of all necessary permits. Also be aware that a especially for Tibet a local guide is compulsory.
Important notice: For self-drive tours in China, there must be always a Chinese guide with the group. In case of car, 4WD, jeep, truck etc. trips the guide can join the vehicle of the participants, in case of motorbike tours, the guide has to follow in a separate car.
The most important border crossings to and from China are:
- Mongolia: Erenhot (Zamin-Uud) - Inner Mongolia
- Kazachstan: Ergongzhen (Qoqek) -Xinjiang / Mohu (Emuchang, Xoproc) - Xinjiang
- Kyrgyzstan: Irkeshtam - Xinjiang
- Pakistan: Khunjerab Pass - Xinjiang (Karakorum Highway)
- Nepal: Zhangmu (Dram, Khasa) - Tibet
- Myanmar (Burma): Ruili (Muse) - Yunnan
- Laos: Mengla (Mohan) - Yunnan
- Vietnam: Hekou (Kim-Tan) - Yunnan
What papers are required to drive through China:
- Vehicle: - vehicle papers, 4 photos from all sides with clearly readable number plates, certification (e.g. TüV), insurance, as well as all details such as color, serial numbers, engine details, producer, type, value of the vehicle (upon entering China, your vehicle will be estimated in value and you have to leave a deposit which will be refunded upon exiting China)
- Participants: Passport and visa, individual insurance (must cover China), 5 passport photos of the driver/s, national and international driving license, personal details
- List of equipment: spare parts, GPS, laptop, satellite telephone, etc.
Do you have a question? Use our online support system! Simply click on the "live chat" icon, fill in the required fields and choose an available operator.
go to top
| Based in
Hidden China GmbH
+41 (0) 44 5866635
Address in China
Building 5, Apt. 312, Shunyi
+86 18600121273 (mobile)